BASIC SNOW SAFETY & AVALANCHE AWARENESS CLASS – 6 hours
Whether you ski, climb, snowshoe, snowboard or snowmobile in the backcountry, recognition of avalanche danger is an essential and potentially lifesaving skill. This class is a great primer for the AIARE Level 1 course and ideal for families and individuals who want an introduction to safety considerations when venturing out into the mountains in winter. The course takes place in Rocky Mountain National Park.
Through direct “hands on” investigation we address the following topics:
• How do I stay safe traveling in the mountains during the winter?
• Ways to avoid avalanches
• What is an avalanche and how do avalanches happen?
• Interpretation of daily avalanche bulletin (pre-trip planning)
• Identify avalanche types, terrain & hazards
• Discuss and practice backcountry travel techniques
• Discuss and demonstrate avalanche safety equipment including beacons and probe poles
• Companion rescue techniques
Offered November through April.